Neighborhood | Community
Henderson Avenue is a peaceful residential enclave set amidst the bustling Milledge Avenue/Baxter Street corridors. The wide street and stately, overhanging oaks make it the perfect place for an evening stroll or casual conversation on a shaded front porch. The Henderson neighborhood consists of a very small portion of the 633-acre tract purchased by John Milledge in 1801 and given to the trustees of the University of Georgia. In 1845, William A. Carr purchased a significant parcel of this land from UGA and donated it for a street that he requested be named “Southern States Rights Street,” the forerunner of Henderson Avenue. The earliest house on Henderson dates to this period, but the period of most significant development occurred during the final two decades of the 19th century, largely due to the streetcar line which ran from Milledge Avenue to downtown. Most of the residences date from the late 1800s and exhibit Victorian-era building forms and stylistic detailing. There are several outstanding examples of Folk Victorian design as well as a few dwellings built in the early twentieth century Craftsman style. Henderson Avenue is part of the Dearing Street National Register District, and the tour will include portions of Milledge Avenue and Church Street. This tour will last approximately 1 1/2 hours.
2 p.m. ACHF Member: $12 / Non-member: $15